Dhirubhai Ambani was a Indian business tycoon who founded Reliance Industries, one of India’s largest conglomerates. He is considered one of the most successful Indian entrepreneurs of the 20th century. Here are a few key events from his life that contributed to his wealth:
— IWMBuzz (@iwmbuzz) January 7, 2023
Dhirubhai Ambani Real Stories
- In 1958, Ambani started his own business by importing and selling polyester yarn. He then started his own textile mill, Reliance Textile Industries, which became one of the most profitable textile mills in India.
- In 1977, Ambani founded Reliance Industries, which initially focused on the production of polyester fibers and yarns. He expanded the company into other areas such as petrochemicals, oil and gas exploration, and refining.
- In 1985, Reliance Industries became the first Indian company to raise funds through a public issue of shares. This helped the company to raise significant capital and expand its operations.
- In 1992, Reliance Industries entered the retail market with the launch of Reliance Fresh, a chain of supermarkets. This helped the company to diversify its revenue streams and increase its presence in the Indian market.
- In 2002, Reliance Industries entered the telecommunications market with the launch of Reliance Infocomm. This helped the company to diversify its revenue streams and increase its presence in the Indian market.
- In 2012 Reliance Industries entered in retail market again with the launch of Reliance Retail which became one of the largest retail chain in India.
These events, along with Ambani’s business acumen and strategic vision, helped to build Reliance Industries into a successful and diversified conglomerate, making Ambani one of the wealthiest men in India.
Along with this he also had a fun-loving side. Here are a few funny stories about him:
Dhirubhai Ambani Funny Stories
- Ambani was known to be a great storyteller, and would often regale his employees with humorous anecdotes. One of his favorite stories was about how he had outsmarted a customs official at the Mumbai port.
- According to a story, Once in a meeting with other big business tycoons, he was asked about his success and how he managed to grow Reliance Industries so big and his answer was “I sell dreams, not products”
- Ambani was also known for his love of good food. He would often invite his employees over for dinner and would personally cook for them. He was also known for his love of traditional Indian sweets and would often bring them in to share with his employees.
- Ambani was known for his love of cricket and he would often organize cricket matches between his employees. He would often be seen playing with the employees, and it was not uncommon to see him out on the field, batting and bowling.
- Once, when he was travelling in a train, He met a young boy selling tea. He asked the boy how much he earned and was surprised to know that the boy earned only Rs.50 per day. He offered the boy a job at Reliance Industries and promised him a salary of Rs.5000 per month. The boy was overjoyed and joined Reliance Industries. Years later, the boy became one of the most successful executives at Reliance Industries and credited his success to Ambani’s guidance and mentorship.
Although these stories are difficult to verify, they paint a picture of Ambani as a fun-loving and generous person, who had a great sense of humor and a big heart.